Past meets present in April 2022 as the Toronto Symphony Orchestra kicks off their 100th season with a concert celebrating its rich history. The anniversary season runs from April 2022 to June 2023.
TSO Music Director Gustavo Gimeno will be joined by four former TSO Music Directors: Conductor Emeritus Peter Oundjian, Jukka-Pekka Saraste, Günther Herbig, and Conductor Laureate Sir Andrew Davis for a special concert on April 9, 2022. Hosting the Celebrate 100: Maestros’ Special Homecoming will be CBC personality and mezzo-soprano Marion Newman in a program that will feature orchestral showpieces.
New concert announcements and highlights
- Canada’s National Arts Centre Orchestra (NACO) with Music Director Alexander Shelley on March 30 to perform Truth in our Time featuring the World Première of Philip Glass’s Symphony No. 13, his ode to freedom of the press, commissioned by NACO as a tribute to Canadian-born journalist Peter Jennings.
- The spring concert schedule has been expanded to include a special Valentine’s show on February 12, along with a string of other offerings, including the TSO performing the score to the beloved movie The Princess Bride, along with FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Orchestra World Tour, and more.
- The TSO Chamber Soloists series comes back on Apr. 7 & 27, May 27, and June 4 & 19 for 30-minute concert programs, curated by Concertmaster Jonathan Crow, performed by TSO musicians and special guest artists in Roy Thomson Hall prior to the regularly scheduled performances.
A word from the conductor
“I know that Toronto audiences are looking forward to full-length concerts and large orchestral experiences as much as we are––there is simply nothing like the extraordinary sound and power of a full orchestra. We are proud to be able to offer works by the great masters and world premières from both internationally renowned and young composers, and to feature the talent of our outstanding musicians in their own Chamber series. I’m looking forward to exploring these wonderful programs with everyone,” says Gustavo Gimeno, Music Director.
Previously announced programs will see the return of full-length concerts, scheduled intermissions, with the participation of the full orchestra. Updated safety protocols can be found at TSO.CA/Safety.
Single tickets to TSO’s concerts from March – June 2022 will go on sale December 9 here.
Get the daily arts news straight to your inbox.
Sign up for the Ludwig van Daily — classical music and opera in five minutes or less HERE.
- THE SCOOP | 2022 Glenn Gould Prize Jury Draws From Canadian And International Arts Luminaries - August 19, 2022
- THE SCOOP | Mirvish: Healthy Audience Numbers Bode Well For Toronto’s Live Theatre Scene - August 18, 2022
- PREVIEW | Indie Opera: Toronto’s Opéra Queens Presents ‘Tanya’s Secret’ - August 17, 2022