Southern Ontario Lyric Opera will launch the 2023-24 season with Puccini’s beloved Madama Butterfly. The performance will take place October 15 at the Burlington Performing Arts Centre.
Here’s a look at some of the details.
Madama Butterfly: The Cast
The cast features all-Canadian talent.
- Nikkei Canadian settler Teiya Kasahara, an award-winning soprano and multidisciplinary artist, will make their company debut in the tour-de-force role of Cio-Cio San. Kasahara’s own The Butterfly Project, a multidisciplinary performance piece, re-imagined Puccini’s opera, and was recently staged as part of Toronto Summer Music.
- Lyric tenor Rumulo Delgado complements Kasahara in the role of Pinkerton. Delgado is also a composer; his oratorio The Cross Of Christ had its premiere earlier this year.
- Ukrainian-Canadian Alexandra Beley makes her company debut in the role of Suzuki. Beley is an alumna of the prestigious L’Atelier lyrique de l’Opéra de Montréal.
- Baritone Christopher Dunham is also a graduate from l’Atelier lyrique de l’Opéra de Montréal, as well as Atlanta Opera’s Young Artist Residency. He’ll be playing the role of Sharpless.
- Rounding out the cast are Ottawa-based tenor Corey Arnold as Goro, and Toronto-based baritone Michael Robert-Broder as Imperial Commissioner/Prince Yamadori.
Southern Ontario Lyric Opera founder and music director Sabatino Vacca will conduct, including the Southern Ontario Lyric Opera Chorus and Orchestra.
Tickets for the October 15 performance are on sale [HERE].
2023-24 Season Highlights
The remainder of the 2023-24 season features favourite performers and beloved works from the opera repertoire.
December 20, 2023: Sounds of the Season and More!
The annual Christmas concert spotlights award-winning soprano and COC Ensemble member Karoline Podolak, with Canadian tenor Rocco Rupolo in his company debut, and Sabatino Vacca conducting, with the SOLO Chorus and Orchestra.
March 2, 2024: Carmen
One of the best known and most popular operas of all time, it’s a first for the company, with casting to be announced.
Get the daily arts news straight to your inbox.
Sign up for the Ludwig van Daily — classical music and opera in five minutes or less HERE.
- PREVIEW | Toronto’s Xenia Concerts Makes Classical Music Accessible, Season Kicks Off September 23 - September 21, 2023
- FEATURE | The Unique Classical Music Journey Of Rapa Nui Pianist, Environmentalist & Educator Mahani Teave - September 20, 2023
- THE SCOOP | Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony Admin, Musicians React In The Wake Of Season Cancellation - September 20, 2023