Hope Muir, Joan and Jerry Lozinski Artistic Director of The National Ballet of Canada, has announced that Principal Dancer Piotr Stanczyk will retire in November 2023 after 25 years with the company. He will continue to perform during the winter and summer of 2023, with his final performance during the fall 2023/23 season.
“During his distinguished 25-year career with the National Ballet, Piotr has both touched and thrilled audiences with his magnetic stage presence, explosive technique and sensitivity,” said Muir in a statement. “It is my great pleasure to have watched and worked with such a nuanced and generous artist, and I am honoured to have acquired a special work, to be announced in February, in his honour for his farewell performances next November.”
Piotr also commented. “The National Ballet has been my creative home for many years, and I am so grateful for all the opportunities I have been given. This company allowed me to grow as an artist, dance so many challenging and rewarding roles and to work with the world’s greatest choreographers. I will truly miss my amazing colleagues, coaches and, of course, our wonderful audiences. I look forward to savouring these last performances and celebrating with everyone next November.”
Piotr was born in Poznan, Poland, and trained at the State Ballet School of Poznan in Poland before coming to Canada’s National Ballet School.
- He joined the National Ballet of Canada in 1998;
- Rose to Principal Dancer in 2008;
- Known for roles that display his dramatic as well as dancing talent, including Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet, Hilarion in Giselle, among others;
- Rolex Dancers First Award twice (!) for his performance in the title role of Hamlet (2012) & Leontes in The Winter’s Tale (2106);
- William Marrié Award for Dramatic Excellence for his performances as Jaguar in The Firebird (2003);
- In 2022, he was nominated for a Dora Mavor Moore Award for his performance in a solo that Alysa Pires created for him;
- Has appeared in works choreographed by the likes of Alexei Ratmansky, Crystal Pite, Christopher Wheeldon, John Neumeier and Alysa Pires.
- As a guest artist, he has appeared with the Vienna State Ballet, International Ballet Festival of Miami, Charleston Ballet, Brott Music Festival and the Canadian All Star Ballet Gala.
Piotr Stanczyk’s farewell performances in November 2023 will be announced at a later date.
Get the daily arts news straight to your inbox.
Sign up for the Ludwig van Daily — classical music and opera in five minutes or less HERE.
- THE SCOOP | The National Academy Orchestra Of Canada Online Auditions For 2024 - December 1, 2023
- INTERVIEW | Lara St. John Talks About Her 21C Music Festival Concerts And Women In Classical Music - December 1, 2023
- FEATURE | Four Messiahs: Toronto Audiences Can Choose Different Interpretations And Expressions Of Handel’s Iconic Work - November 30, 2023