Jennifer Taylor has announced her final season as Artistic Producer of Music Toronto. She will step down from the position at the end of the 2023-23 season after 33 years leading the organization.
Cellist Roman Borys, a founding member of the Gryphon Trio, will pick up the slack as Artistic Director Designate, effective immediately. Borys and Taylor programmed the eight concerts making up the 2023-24 season together.
“Having talked about artists and programmes for 27 years, it was a natural transition to collaborate on the programming of the 2023-24 season as we look forward to an exciting next chapter for Music TORONTO,” said Jennifer Taylor in a statement. “It has been a privilege to present more than 400 artists to our loyal and discerning audience.”
“Music TORONTO has presented chamber ensembles and solo pianists from all over the world at the Jane Mallett Theatre for over 50 years and has earned its reputation as one of the most important classical music producers in Canada. Season after season, Music TORONTO events have delighted audiences and inspired, supported and promoted many Canadian musicians who have gone on to build international careers and whose work is contributing to the ongoing evolution and vitality of the genre. I’m honoured to have been invited to build on Music TORONTO’s legacy and look forward to ushering the organization into its next phase,” said Roman Borys.
Borys will officially begin his tenure as Artistic Director on July 1, 2023. Along with performances, he and other Gryphon Trio members serve as Directors of Banff Centre Summer Classical Music Programs.
Jennifer Taylor will continue in the role of Artistic Producer until June 30, 2024.
Music Toronto’s jointly programmed 2023-24 Season
- Quatuor Danel (October 12, 2023)
- Duo Turgeon (November 7, 2023)
- Gryphon Trio (December 7, 2023)
- Verona Quartet (January 18, 2024)
- Maria Thompson Corley (February 13, 2024)
- Aizuri Quartet (February 22, 2024)
- David Fung (March 5, 2024)
- St. Lawrence Quartet (March 28, 2024)
Single ticket orders for the 2023/24 season can be made as of September 5 by calling the Box Office at 416-366-7723 or on their website here.
We wish Jennifer the best as she leaves Music Toronto in capable hands.
Get the daily arts news straight to your inbox.
Sign up for the Ludwig van Daily — classical music and opera in five minutes or less HERE.
- THE SCOOP | Canada’s Rilian Trio Wins 12th Trondheim International Chamber Music Competition - October 2, 2023
- INTERVIEW | Matthew Ozawa Talks About Directing Fidelio And Opera’s Universal Appeal - September 29, 2023
- INTERVIEW | Director Chelsea McMullan Talks About Swan Song, A Ballet Doc Following Karen Kain’s Grande Finale - September 28, 2023