Toronto Mendelssohn Choir has announced the winner of its 2021 Choral Composition Competition.
Congratulations to Benjamin Sigerson for his winning composition Of Rest — a setting of text by Vancouver poet j. h. Lee.
“Benjamin’s piece demonstrates a clear understanding of the voice and its expressive possibilities,” said Artistic Director Jean-Sébastien Vallée. “Benjamin shows great potential as an artist and I look forward to hearing choirs from all across the country, and beyond, perform his music!”
For this year’s competition, composers were directed to write a cappella or piano-accompanied pieces for SATB and/or SSAATTBB. The TMC also encouraged composers to set a poem by a poet from an underrepresented community.
The award includes the Debbie Fleming Prize in Choral Composition of $1,000 and a premiere of the winning piece by the TMC at its Conductors’ Symposium concert on June 28, 2022.
More about the winner
- Benjamin Sigerson is a composer and jazz pianist from Vancouver, B.C.
- Currently studying composition at McGill University.
- Has won awards for his compositions, including 3rd prize in the choral category in the 2021 edition of SOCAN Awards.
If It feels like you’re getting an endless stream of good news from the TMC lately, it’s because you are. Despite the new Omicron closures, the TMC is doing better than ever.
This past year included a new artistic director, a fresh season, a new collaborative pianist, and Choral Conductors’ Symposium. This latest 2021 Choral Competition Laureate announcement feels like a “but, wait there’s more” moment. In this case, it’s the real deal, folks — step right up.
Get the daily arts news straight to your inbox.
Sign up for the Ludwig van Daily — classical music and opera in five minutes or less HERE.
- THE SCOOP | Gustavo Gimeno Accepts Role As Music Director Of The Teatro Real - July 19, 2022
- CRITIC’S PICKS | Classical Events You Absolutely Need To See Over The Next Two Weeks: June 13 – 27 - June 13, 2022
- THE SCOOP | Canadian Crowned Winner Of 2022 Concours musical international de Montréal - June 10, 2022