We can’t say we are surprised as Ontario’s performing arts presenters grapple with the consequences of shutting down venues with no promises for the rest of the season.
The Canadian Opera Company has confirmed today that they are cancelling all live-audience performances of Puccini’s Madama Butterfly.
The upside is that this applies to in-person performances only. If you’re a 2021/2022 COC membership holder, you’ll be able to see a free digital presentation of the production.
The production had been slated to run from February 4 – 25, 2022, at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts.
“It’s clear that cancelling in-person performances is the most responsible course of action at this time,” said COC General Director Perryn Leech. “The safety of our audiences, artists, and staff remains our absolute top priority. However, thanks to newly-installed recording and broadcast equipment, our cast and creative teams will still be able to share their hard work and talents with subscribers in a safe, at-home viewing experience.”
What If I have a ticket already?
You have four options:
- donate your tickets back for a tax receipt;
- exchange your ticket into one of the COC’s upcoming productions of Verdi’s La Traviata or Mozart’s The Magic Flute;
- have your COC patron account credited with the value of the tickets, to be used toward 21/22 single tickets or the purchase of a 22/23 season subscription;
- have your ticket refunded.
What about the rest of the season?
Unless things change, the COC has no plans to cancel in-person performances of La Traviata (opening April 23, 2022), The Magic Flute (Opening May 6, 2022).
Get the daily arts news straight to your inbox.
Sign up for the Ludwig van Daily — classical music and opera in five minutes or less HERE.
- THE SCOOP | Gustavo Gimeno Accepts Role As Music Director Of The Teatro Real - July 19, 2022
- CRITIC’S PICKS | Classical Events You Absolutely Need To See Over The Next Two Weeks: June 13 – 27 - June 13, 2022
- THE SCOOP | Canadian Crowned Winner Of 2022 Concours musical international de Montréal - June 10, 2022