Ontario’s live events industry is scrambling this weekend after the Ontario government made a surprise announcement late Friday.
The announcement stated they are lifting capacity limits in select indoor and outdoor event settings with capacity under 20,000 and where proof of vaccination is required.
The 100% capacity reopening officially began Saturday, October 9, 2021, at 12:01 a.m.
The reopening applies to:
- Concert venues, theatres and cinemas
- Spectator areas of facilities for sports and recreational fitness (would not include gyms, personal training)
- Meeting and event spaces (indoor meeting and event spaces will still need to limit capacity to the number that can maintain physical distancing)
- Horseracing tracks, car racing tracks, and other similar venues
- Commercial film and television productions with studio audiences
Ontario’s reopening plan was last updated July 16, 2020, after the province announced they will be officially moving into Stage 3 of Ontario’s Reopening Plan.
What they’re saying
“As we continue to see more Ontarians roll up their sleeves with over 22 million doses administered, our government is cautiously lifting capacity limits in select settings where we know proof of vaccination requirements are providing an added layer of protection to Ontarians,” said Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health.
“The fight against COVID-19 is not over and we must all remain vigilant by continuing to follow the public health measures we know work and keep us safe, and receiving your first or second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine if you have not already done so.”
Get the daily arts news straight to your inbox.
Sign up for the Ludwig van Daily — classical music and opera in five minutes or less HERE.
- THE SCOOP | Gustavo Gimeno Accepts Role As Music Director Of The Teatro Real - July 19, 2022
- CRITIC’S PICKS | Classical Events You Absolutely Need To See Over The Next Two Weeks: June 13 – 27 - June 13, 2022
- THE SCOOP | Canadian Crowned Winner Of 2022 Concours musical international de Montréal - June 10, 2022