DESKTOP
TABLET (max. 1024px)
MOBILE (max. 640px)
Return to Top
Ludwig Van
Toronto Montreal

THE SCOOP | TSO’s Incoming Conductor Gustavo Gimeno Extends Contract With Luxembourg Philharmonic

By Michael Vincent on February 17, 2020

Gustavo Gimeno (Photo : Anne Dokter)
Gustavo Gimeno (Photo : Anne Dokter)

Toronto Symphony Orchestra’s incoming Music Director Gustavo Gimeno, has announced he will remain as principal conductor of the Luxembourg Philharmonic Orchestra (OPL) through the 2024/25 season.

First joining the OPL in June 2014 on a four-year contract, Gimeno replaced conductor Emmanuel Krivine who served the orchestra between 2006–2015.

In a press statement, Stephan Gehmacher, Director-General of the Philharmonie Luxembourg and the OPL, expressed his satisfaction over the extension of the agreement, adding that the orchestra has undergone an impressive development under Gustavo Gimeno’s leadership during the past five years.

Gimeno will spend the majority of the season conducting in Europe and Asia (56%), and the remaining time commuting to Toronto (44%) from his home in Amsterdam.

[Update: Feb. 18, 2020: Included percentage breakdown of Gimeno’s duties between Europe, Asian and Toronto for clarification.]

#LUDWIGVAN

Want more updates on classical music and opera news and reviews? Follow us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter for all the latest.

Follow me

Michael Vincent

Michael Vincent is the Editor-in-chief Ludwig Van and CEO of Museland Media. He publishes regularly and writes occasionally. A specialist in digital media for over 15 years, he has worked as a senior editor and is a former freelance classical music critic for the Toronto Star. Michael holds a Doctorate in Music from the University of Toronto.
Michael Vincent
Follow me
Follow me

Michael Vincent

Michael Vincent is the Editor-in-chief Ludwig Van and CEO of Museland Media. He publishes regularly and writes occasionally. A specialist in digital media for over 15 years, he has worked as a senior editor and is a former freelance classical music critic for the Toronto Star. Michael holds a Doctorate in Music from the University of Toronto.
Michael Vincent
Follow me
Share this article
lv_toronto_banner_high_590x300
comments powered by Disqus

Ludwig Van Toronto

LEBRECHT LISTENS | Víkingur Ólafsson Is Putting Iceland On The Classical Music Map

By Norman Lebrecht on March 13, 2020

Víkingur Ólafsson has taken a pair of French composers two centuries apart and effectively melded their music into one by the simple method of interleaving short pieces across a whole album.
Read the full story Comments
Share this article
lv_toronto_banner_high_590x300

THE SCOOP | Toronto Summer Music 15th Anniversary Festival Celebrates Beethoven Unleashed

By Anya Wassenberg on March 3, 2020

From July 9 to August 1, 2020, the 15th anniversary of the Toronto Summer Music festival and Beethoven’s 250th birthday celebrations come together in a look not only at the iconic composer’s music, but his influence on Western culture overall, with some special programming gems thrown into the mix.
Read the full story Comments
Share this article

THE SCOOP | Toronto Symphony Shutters Another Month Of Concerts

By Michael Vincent on March 25, 2020

The Toronto Symphony Orchestra has announced the cancellation of another month of concerts through April due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Read the full story Comments
Share this article
lv_toronto_banner_low_590x300
lv_toronto_ssb_atf_300x300
lv_toronto_ssb_high_300x300
lv_toronto_ssb_mid_300x300
lv_toronto_ssb_low_300x300
lv_toronto_tsb_high_300x700
lv_toronto_tsb_low_300x700
lv_toronto_ssb_atf_300x300
lv_toronto_ssb_high_300x300
lv_toronto_ssb_mid_300x300
lv_toronto_ssb_low_300x300
lv_toronto_tsb_high_300x700
lv_toronto_tsb_low_300x700

We have detected that you are using an adblocking plugin in your browser.

The revenue we earn by the advertisements is used to manage this website. Please whitelist our website in your adblocking plugin.