The Elmer Iseler Singers and conductor/music director Lydia Adams are looking for new and in progress choral compositions for a workshop event on April 27. The deadline for submissions is March 10.
The event takes place in person with the Elmer Iseler Singers and Lydia Adams at the Canadian Music Centre, and is free of charge for composers.
The Elmer Iseler Choir
The Elmer Iseler Singers are a 20-voice professional chamber choir. The JUNO Award winning choir has been led by conductor and artistic director Lydia Adams since 1998, with its 45th concert season in 2023/24.
Named after founder Dr. Elmer Iseler, the choir was formed in 1979. Dr. Elmer Iseler, O.C., O.ONT. (1927–1998) left an indelible mark on Canadian choral singing during a five decade career. He founded Canada’s first professional choir, the Festival Singers, in 1954. Iseler went on to conduct the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir (a choir he had also sung in) for 33 years, while establishing EIS as a premiere chamber choir in 1979.
The Elmer Iseler Singers have grown as an organization to acquire a national and international reputation for performance. The choir’s overall mandate of promoting choral singing includes support for new works and composers, as well as emerging composers in the field. Adams and the choir have commissioned more than 50 compositions, largely from Canadian composers.
Lydia Adams was awarded the Order of Canada for her distinguished contributions to arts and culture in Canada in June 2023.
As an organization, they believe in professionalism in choral music, alongside the value of community and the role it can play.
For Choral Composers
It’s a great opportunity for new and emerging choral composers to hear their works performed by one of the city’s premiere professional choirs.
The EIS will workshop the compositions as an educational initiative. In addition,
- Composer, conductor and singers will interact;
- Topics of discussion include colours, textures, phrasing, writing text for choirs, and more;
- The goal is to test out new ideas and/or help you develop work.
The Elmer Iseler Singers are encouraging Canadian emerging composers, and hoping for a group that reflects Canada’s diversity, as well as works that involve collaborations with Indigenous artists.
- Find out more, and the form required to submit your application, [HERE].
Get the daily arts news straight to your inbox.
Sign up for the Ludwig Van Toronto e-Blast! — local classical music and opera news straight to your inbox HERE.
- PREVIEW | Tafelmusik’s Staircases Blends Baroque With New Music, Poetry And Images - March 4, 2024
- THE SCOOP | Toronto Summer Music: Voices Within Runs From July 11 To August 3 - March 1, 2024
- PREVIEW | The Toronto Mendelssohn Singers Takes On A New Arrangement Of Schubert’s Winterreise & Women Composers Of The Era - February 29, 2024