Sinfonia Toronto has announced the appointment of Jacob Clewell in the violist’s chair. The young American won the position after auditions held on September 6.
Music Director Nurhan Arman commented, “Jacob Clewell has a brilliant technique and plays with a great sense of stylistic purity, a wonderfully expressive tone and beautiful phrasing. He is a fine musician and will be a great fit with the orchestra’s performing style. I am delighted to welcome him to Sinfonia Toronto.”
Meet Jacob Clewell
A native of Raleigh, North Carolina, Jacob grew up largely in Oklahoma. He’s rapidly built a reputation as an accomplished musician.
With degrees from the Cornish College of the Arts, Stony Brook University, and The Glenn Gould School, Jacob earned his Doctor of Musical Arts from the University of Toronto. He also served as a teaching assistant in violin, viola, and chamber music at the UofT.
- Gold Medallist of the 2017 Vancouver International Music Competition;
- He’s performed as a soloist at the Scotia Festival, Green Lake Chamber Music Festival, Le Domaine Forget, Lake District Summer Music, Northern Lights Festival of Mexico, and Festival Pablo Casals in Prades, France;
- He has appeared as a guest artist with numerous orchestras and chamber series, toured in the US and Canada, and performed in Toronto’s Koerner Hall and Weill Recital Hall in New York.
Jacob is Co-Artistic Director and Artist-Faculty of Viola at the annual Emerald Coast Chamber Music Festival in Florida, and directs the Mosbacher Salon Collective in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Jacob’s first concert will be the launch of Sinfonia Toronto’s 2023-2024 — and 25th Anniversary – Season on October 21.
The programme titled BEETHOVEN’S FIFTH! will include two world premieres — Louis Sauter’s Regard de l’anniversaire XXV and Frank Horvat’s Magnificent Roots — along with Taktakishvili’s Violin Concerto No. 2 in its Canadian premiere, Sarasate’s Gypsy Airs, and Beethoven’s inimitable No. 5 (arr. Sreten Krstič for its Canadian premiere).
Tickets and more info [HERE].
Get the daily arts news straight to your inbox.
Sign up for the Ludwig van Daily — classical music and opera in five minutes or less HERE.
- INTERVIEW | Matthew Ozawa Talks About Directing Fidelio And Opera’s Universal Appeal - September 29, 2023
- INTERVIEW | Director Chelsea McMullan Talks About Swan Song, A Ballet Doc Following Karen Kain’s Grande Finale - September 28, 2023
- PREVIEW | Opera Atelier Presents Gluck’s Groundbreaking Orpheus And Eurydice - September 27, 2023