Québec violinist Daphné Bourbonnais has beat the competition to become the newest addition to Sinfonia Toronto. The organization announced her appointment to the orchestra’s first violin section after an application process that whittled a field of more than a dozen to nine musicians who were invited to audition.
Music Director Nurhan Arman commented in a statement. “Daphné Bourbonnais possesses a highly developed technique, a marvellously expressive bow arm and innate musicianship. She is a sensitive player and will be a great fit with our performing style. I am absolutely delighted to welcome her to Sinfonia Toronto.”
Born in Rimouski, Québec, Daphné has been playing the violin since the age of 4, and studied at the Conservatoire de musique de Rimouski from 2004 until 2013, when she began her studies at the Conservatoire de Montréal.
- She’s been playing in a variety of ensembles since 2010, including Quatuor Excellence;
- Daphné has garnered multiple awards in several competitions, including the Canadian Music Competitions, where she always placed at least as a provincial finalist;
- She obtained her undergraduate degree and Chamber Music Diploma from the Conservatoire de Montréal in 2018, and received her master’s degree in 2020.
She is a proponent of new music and contemporary composers. Daphné’s performing experience includes the National Youth Orchestra of Canada, l’Orchestre de la Francophonie, and l’Orchestre Symphonique de l’Estuaire, and she has toured through Canada, Spain and South Korea.
Audiences will be able to see and hear her work with Sinfonia Toronto for the first time at their next concert on March 4, titled Mozart & Shostakovich. Tickets on sale here.
Get the daily arts news straight to your inbox.
Sign up for the Ludwig van Daily — classical music and opera in five minutes or less HERE.
- PREVIEW | Soundstreams’ New Voices Project Finishes With Waiting For Godot Concert - March 24, 2023
- PREVIEW | An All-Black Ensemble On Stage In Of The Sea, A Canadian World Premiere Opera - March 23, 2023
- PREVIEW | Esprit Orchestra’s New Wave Festival & Season Finale Promise Premieres And New Music Giants - March 23, 2023