The Toronto Symphony Orchestra has announced TSO100: Open House & Free Concert, which will take place at Roy Thomson Hall on September 24.
Starting from 10 a.m., all Torontonians are invited to Roy Thomson Hall for an all-access pass tour and a day of activities, including a range of diverse performers in the lobby, activities, and a free concert featuring the TSO in full force.
“Roy Thomson Hall is an iconic Toronto landmark, and it has been our home for the last 40 years” says TSO Chief Executive Officer Mark Williams in a media release. “As we begin the Toronto Symphony’s next century, opening our doors to the community and welcoming the city into our home feels fitting. We are your orchestra and we belong to you — getting to know Torontonians is essential to the work that we do. Whether visitors stay for the free concert or simply immerse themselves in the activities we have planned throughout the day, we want Toronto — all of Toronto — to feel welcome.”
The Open House
Visitors can expect to find a range of activities throughout the Hall.
Performances in the lobby:
- Toronto Symphony Youth Orchestra (TSYO) musicians;
- Pop-up performances by musicians of the TSO in a special performance of the children’s story Kiwi’s Can’t Play the Violin by Pierre Rivard;
- A diverse range of Toronto-based musicians, including the Iranian-Canadian Composers of Toronto (ICOT), steel pan artistry with musician Winston “Pappy” Frederick, and a string performance with chamber-folk band Medusa.
- Activities like the create-your-own-sheet-music stations;
- A musical instrument discovery zone hosted by Long & McQuade
- Guided tours of the building;
- A historical exhibit about the TSO’s century-old legacy.
The free concert will be conducted by TSO Music Director Gustavo Gimeno, with host Barrett Principal Education Conductor & Community Ambassador, Daniel Bartholomew-Poyser, who’ll be introducing the works and sharing other details.
Maestro Gimeno has put together a diverse program to celebrate the city.
- Winnipeg-based composer of Cree descent Andrew Balfour’s Kiwetin-acahkos (North Star);
- Original TSO commissions from Toronto-based award-winning composer Afarin Mansouri and Mexican-Canadian Composer Luis Ramirez;
- Chopin’s Piano Concerto No. 2 — played by Canadian International Chopin Competition champion Bruce Liu;
- Rimsky-Korsakov’s Scheherazade;
- Danzón No. 2 by contemporary Mexican composer Arturo Márquez.
The fine print
- Where: Roy Thomson Hall
- Open House: 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
- Free Concert: 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
TSO100: Open House & Free Concert event is an official Ontario Culture Days event.
More information and free tickets here — please RSVP starting September 15 to reserve a seat for the concert. A reservation is not required for the Open House.
Get the daily arts news straight to your inbox.