DESKTOP
TABLET (max. 1024px)
MOBILE (max. 640px)
Return to Top
Ludwig Van
Toronto Montreal

BREAKING NEWS: Orchestra London Silenced

By Michael Vincent on December 9, 2014

Orchestra London Canada
Orchestra London Canada

[Last updated, December 10, 2014, 9:30 a.m.]

Orchestra London has confirmed that the seventy-seven year-old orchestra will cease operations effective Tuesday, 16 December 2014.

The planed closure is due to a massive budget shortfall, to the tune of nearly half a million dollars.

In a statement to AM 980, Board President Joseph O’Neill said the crisis was caused after the mid-sized orchestra received a one-million dollar gift (the biggest in its history), which was to be distributed over a three-year period.

The first portion amounted to three hundred thousand dollars, and was transferred in June 2013.

The second portion was scheduled this summer but never arrived, leaving the orchestra desperate to cover basic expenses and payroll.

According to the local London news affiliate IFP Press, the reason the funds were not transferred was because the unnamed donor decided to direct the funds towards a new concert hall instead – leaving the orchestra insolvent.

Things were so dire, the orchestra used future season tickets to cover current productions – money that will not be refunded.

In a statement to AM 980, Centennial Hall’s Don Jones said “They’re not going to get any money back. The orchestra sold all their tickets and they spent all the money before the shows happened, so all these people are out of their money.”

“It’s been tough making payrolls every week and they had a big payroll due tomorrow (Wednesday), which they couldn’t make so that was the last straw I think. The plug was just basically pulled on it,” Jones said.

In letter written last week on behalf of the fifty-five unionized orchestra musicians, they placed the blame squarely on the orchestra administration, and called for Executive Director, Joe Swan to be fired.

Swan responded by defending his position, stating the orchestra musicians are unfairly singling him out.

IFP Press reported employees are concerned they may not be paid, but Swan seemed hopeful that they will be able to settle all remaining payroll accounts by the end of the calendar year.

[For an exclusive interview with Executive Director Joe Swan, see here]

Michael Vincent

Follow me

Michael Vincent

Michael Vincent is the Editor-in-chief Ludwig Van and CEO of Museland Media. He publishes regularly and writes occasionally. A specialist in digital media for over 15 years, he has worked as a senior editor and is a former freelance classical music critic for the Toronto Star. Michael holds a Doctorate in Music from the University of Toronto.
Michael Vincent
Follow me
Follow me

Michael Vincent

Michael Vincent is the Editor-in-chief Ludwig Van and CEO of Museland Media. He publishes regularly and writes occasionally. A specialist in digital media for over 15 years, he has worked as a senior editor and is a former freelance classical music critic for the Toronto Star. Michael holds a Doctorate in Music from the University of Toronto.
Michael Vincent
Follow me
Share this article
lv_toronto_banner_high_590x300
comments powered by Disqus

Ludwig Van Toronto

THE SCOOP | Royal Conservatory Announces Thirty Classical Music Concerts In Preview Of 2020-21 Season

By Anya Wassenberg on February 5, 2020

The Royal Conservatory of Music (RCM) has released a preview of its 2020-21 season, incorporating 30 classical music concerts, along with the season’s gala.
Read the full story Comments
Share this article
lv_toronto_banner_high_590x300

THE SCOOP | Grieving Father Asks Opera Company To Reserve Seats For Family Lost In Flight PS752

By Michael Vincent on February 19, 2020

A post goes viral as a grieving father asks the Canadian Opera Company to reserve the seats meant for family members who were lost in the downing of flight PS752 earlier this year.
Read the full story Comments
Share this article

THE SCOOP | Opera Atelier Announces Anniversary Season Celebrating 35 Years

By Michael Vincent on January 30, 2020

Opera Atelier (OA) announced its 35th anniversary season on Monday at an event held at Toronto’s St. Lawrence Hall.
Read the full story Comments
Share this article
lv_toronto_banner_low_590x300
lv_toronto_ssb_atf_300x300
lv_toronto_ssb_high_300x300
lv_toronto_ssb_mid_300x300
lv_toronto_ssb_low_300x300
lv_toronto_tsb_high_300x700
lv_toronto_tsb_low_300x700
lv_toronto_ssb_atf_300x300
lv_toronto_ssb_high_300x300
lv_toronto_ssb_mid_300x300
lv_toronto_ssb_low_300x300
lv_toronto_tsb_high_300x700
lv_toronto_tsb_low_300x700

We have detected that you are using an adblocking plugin in your browser.

The revenue we earn by the advertisements is used to manage this website. Please whitelist our website in your adblocking plugin.