- This event has passed.
National Arts Centre Orchestra | Ehnes and Beethoven’s Fifth (online)
September 18, 2021 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm$15.00
- BEETHOVEN Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 67
- SAINT-SAËNS Introduction and Rondo capriccioso in A minor for Violin and Orchestra, Op. 28
- LILI BOULANGER Nocturne for Violin and Orchestra, arr. Sarah Slean
- JESSIE MONTGOMERY Strum
- SARASATE Zigeunerweisen for Violin and Orchestra, Op. 20 (Gypsy Airs)
Beethoven’s glorious Symphony No. 5 is music that gets under your skin, still inspiring and delighting more than two centuries after its first performance in 1808.
NACO Artist-in-Residence, James Ehnes, returns to Southam Hall to perform Camille Saint-Saëns’s spirited Introduction and Rondo capriccioso, boldly commissioned at age 15 by violin prodigy Pablo de Sarasate. Then James embraces Lili Boulanger’s delicately tender and sweet Nocturne, originally written for violin and piano, and arranged specially for this performance by the incomparable Sarah Slean.
Next, Jessie Montgomery’s Strum, for string orchestra, explodes with spirit and life, borrowing from American folk idioms to create a nostalgic narrative that turns to colourful celebration. James Ehnes closes the program with Sarasate’s own Zigeunerweisen, by turns melodramatic and devil-may-care.
- WHO’S WHO | Ontario Pops Orchestra Releases Debut Album “Breaking Barriers” - January 25, 2023
- THE SCOOP | Crooning Prime Minister Causes Social Media Furor - September 19, 2022
- IN MEMORIAM | A Tribute To David Burnham - September 2, 2022