Ted Gioia is a music historian and author who writes one of the best music newsletters going: The Honest Broker.
This week he had a mysterious dream, and woke up with 20 predictions for what music will look like…
…Ten years from now
- The only child of the CEO of Google/Alphabet will date a musician with no discernible talent, but who now suddenly shows up everywhere on search engine results and even wins a prominent music industry award.
- A major Silicon Valley company will announce that it has created the ‘next Beethoven’ with quantum computing technology.
- A legitimate musical counterculture will arise, with a cadre of new artists achieving superstar status while rejecting the roles of influencer and content provider. The motto “music comes first” will be a key part of their marketing message. The movement will have a name, but that word doesn’t exist yet.
- Web platforms will have destroyed record labels—which will no longer play a meaningful role in building the careers of new artists.
- A reality TV show will launch a very popular song competition. But only children under the age of 8 will be allowed to vote. The success of the show will create a popular new genre known as TDM (Toddler Dance Music). It will even get its own Grammy category.
Read the full list here.
- Opera Hooligans Beware — You Could Be Banned for Life - November 14, 2022
- The Surprising Origins Behind the Expression “Break A Leg” - November 9, 2022
- Top 10 Most Famous Composers in 2022 - October 24, 2022