- This event has passed.
Tafelmusik | The Baroque Diva
March 26, 2017 @ 3:30 pm - 5:30 pm$26 – $134
“Over the last decade Karina Gauvin has proved herself one of the most delightful of Baroque sopranos.” – Gramophone
One of the world’s great interpreters of Handel, and long-time Tafelmusik collaborator, Karina Gauvin joins us for this concert showcasing the role of the baroque diva. She performs dramatic and compelling opera arias by Handel, including Alcina’s “Ah! Mio cor,” as well as a stunning motet by Vivaldi.
Guest director Rodolfo Richter returns to lead his second concert of the season. His “notably smooth, glowing tone” (Concerto.net) takes centre stage in Telemann’s humorous Concerto in A Major “The Frog.” The program also includes a world premiere by Canadian composer Colin Labadie, commissioned as part of this year’s Canada 150 celebrations.
- Telemann Concerto in A Major for violin, “The Frog” (Frankfurt, c.1718)**
- Handel Aria “La mia costanza” from Ezio (London, 1732)**
- Telemann Concerto in D Minor for 2 oboes, bassoon & strings (Hamburg, c.1740)
- Vivaldi Motet “O qui coeli” (Rome, c.1724)
- Pisendel Sonata da chiesa a 5 in C Minor (Dresden, c.1721-23)**
- Handel Aria “Ah, mio cor” from Alcina (London, 1735)
- Pisendel Concerto da chiesa a 5 in G Minor (Dresden, C.1720-25)
- Handel Aria “Mio caro bene” from Rodelinda (London, 1725)**
Plus a commissioned work by Canadian composer Colin Labadie**
- COFFEE BREAK | The World’s Oldest Surviving Piano Sounds Better That You’d Think - May 1, 2019
- FEATURE | Shen Yun Symphony Orchestra Brings Human Dialogue To Toronto - September 11, 2017
- Q&A | 43 Questions For Tenor Asitha Tennekoon - June 19, 2017