DESKTOP
TABLET (max. 1024px)
MOBILE (max. 640px)
Return to Top
Ludwig Van
Toronto Montreal

LEBRECHT LISTENS | Anna Clyne’s ‘Mythologies’ Checks Off All the Boxes

By Norman Lebrecht on January 29, 2021

Anna_Clyne-_Mythologies

Anna Clyne: Mythologies (Avie)

★★★★☆

🎧 Spotify | Amazon | Apple Music

The late Michael Kennedy, an honest critic if ever there was, told me that on reaching the age of 60 his ears gave up on contemporary music. We then had a stand-up row about the recent works of Birtwistle and Maxwell Davies and parted, as always, good friends. Now, having long passed Michael’s age threshold for new music, I find myself still curious about living composers.

I first heard Anna Clyne’s violin concerto at the Chicago Symphony and loved it on the spot. That is unusual for a modern premiere, but Clyne is adept at masking complexity with hummable sonorities and I marked her down on the spot as one to watch. She’s 40 now, and this may be her record debut, but there is much within the album to give instant pleasure or, at the very least, a validation of the continuing relevance of classical form in the third decade of the 21st century.

Her violin concerto, titled The Seamstress, is at the heart of the album. Based on folk-fiddle airs and a Schoenbergian 12-tone row, it has resonances of the Alban Berg concerto crossed with English tea-and-cakes on the lawn. Jennifer Koh, who played the Chicago premiere I attended, gives a much more fervent performance here, working with the BBC Symphony Orchestra and conductor Sakari Oramo. It has everything I look for in a violin concerto — novelty, virtuosity and optimism.

The album’s title piece Mythologies was a BBC commission for the opening of the 2013 Proms, a tough call in a season that celebrated centenaries of Verdi, Wagner and Britten. Clyne soared high to the challenge. Unabashedly collagist, the work condenses in five minutes a kaleidoscope of musical hints and influences. Night Ferry, the earliest and longest piece in the pack, is a mood-swing voyage in an out of darkness. I want to hear more of Anna Clyne. She is currently working with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra.

To read more from Norman Lebrecht, follow him on Slippedisc.com.

#LUDWIGVAN

Get the daily arts news straight to your inbox.

Sign up for the Ludwig van Daily — classical music and opera in five minutes or less HERE.

Share this article
lv_toronto_banner_high_590x300
comments powered by Disqus

Ludwig Van Toronto

IN MEMORIAM | Mezzo-Soprano Christa Ludwig Will Remain Unforgettable

By Michael Vincent on April 28, 2021

The opera community has been mourning the loss of Christa Ludwig, one of the greatest Mezzos of the 20th-century.
Read the full story Comments
Share this article
lv_toronto_banner_high_590x300

THE SCOOP | Laurentian University Shuts Down Music School, Fires Staff

By Michael Vincent on April 13, 2021

Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ontario, has notified teaching staff and students across 58 undergraduate and 11 graduate programs that they will be terminated.
Read the full story Comments
Share this article

THE SCOOP | National Ballet’s Karen Kain Gets Her Own Stamp

By Michael Vincent on April 29, 2021

The National Ballet of Canada has revealed Artistic Director Karen Kain and prominent dancer/choreographer Fernand Nault will be honoured with commemorative stamps.
Read the full story Comments
Share this article
lv_toronto_banner_low_590x300
lv_toronto_ssb_atf_300x300
lv_toronto_ssb_high_300x300
lv_toronto_ssb_mid_300x300
lv_toronto_ssb_low_300x300
lv_toronto_tsb_high_300x700
lv_toronto_tsb_low_300x700
lv_toronto_ssb_atf_300x300
lv_toronto_ssb_high_300x300
lv_toronto_ssb_mid_300x300
lv_toronto_ssb_low_300x300
lv_toronto_tsb_high_300x700
lv_toronto_tsb_low_300x700

We have detected that you are using an adblocking plugin in your browser.

The revenue we earn by the advertisements is used to manage this website. Please whitelist our website in your adblocking plugin.